Sunshine, sandy beaches, and all things citrus…if you’re a lover of summertime, you should check out these ten pieces inspired by warmer weather!
10. Surfin’ USA by Chuck Berry and Brian Wilson
If you’re anywhere close to the beach his summer, this classic Beach Boys ballad will get you in the mood to catch the waves.
9. Summertime by George Gershwin
Originally written as a lullaby for Gershwin’s opera Porgy and Bess, this bluesy piece is the perfect addition to a warm weather practice session.
8. Summer Wind by Heinz Meier
This song was first written with German lyrics. The English translation was famously covered by Frank Sinatra.
7. July from Fanny Mendelssohn Hensel’s Das Jahr
This soft, soothing serenade from Fanny Mendelssohn Hensel’s Das Jahr (The Year) is the perfect way to relax and unwind after a busy summer day.
6. To a Wild Rose by Edward McDowell
This beloved piece from Edward McDowell’s Ten Woodland Sketches is soft, flowing, and mesmerizing. It perfectly captures that free-spirited lushness of a patch of summer wildflowers.
5. June from Fanny Mendelssohn Hensel’s Das Jahr
June is another lovely movement from Fanny’s masterpiece. It is full of feeling, sparkle, and spirit.
4. Summer from Antonio Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons
Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons is the most well-known composition inspired by the changes of season. Summer is just as exquisite as the other three seasons. I especially recommend the “Storm” movement!
3. August from Fanny Mendelssohn Hensel’s Das Jahr
This piece is lively and stirring, the perfect accompaniment to the carefree days of late summer.
2. ‘Tis the Last Rose of Summer by Thomas Moore
This traditional Irish song has a beautiful melody that perfectly evokes the feeling of a fading summer rose.
1. La Mer (The Sea) by Claude Debussy
If you enjoy the seaside, you’ll love this piece by Debussy. It’s a beautiful Impressionist representation of the wild, unpredictable, and glorious nature of the ocean.
What are your favorite summer pieces? Let me know in the comments!